If you owe taxes

The taxing authorities do have the power to garnish your wages and put liens on your property. Tax debts can be handled in several ways. If you communicate with any government unit to which you owe taxes, you may be able to work out a payment plan, or even qualify for non-collectible status. An accountant, CPA or lawyer who is experienced in tax matters may help you with an “offer in compromise” (OIC) in which a taxing body agrees to take less then the amount owed, in either a lump sum payment or payments made over time. A bankruptcy lawyer can tell you if bankruptcy can eliminate some taxes or assist you in dealing with them.